Monday, May 2, 2016

Building a Ubuntu Server - Part 3 - Multi-part Series

Today I purchased a simple UPS from APC at a local Staples. Specifically, the APC ES 550VA (BE550G-CN).

I did some research and this model was both supported by Ubuntu as well as had enough ports and backup time to suit my minimum requirements.

Once this unit charges, I'll get to work documenting how to configure and setup the APC UPS Daemon to work under Ubuntu and apply this to my new server.

Here are the specs for the APC UPS:
  • Estimated backup runtime: 3-65 minutes (actual time depends on power draw of connected items)
  • 330W/550VA output capacity
  • 8 outlets (4 with battery backup)
  • High-effeciency charger optimizes power use, meets the strictist global environmental standards and utilizes packaging made entirely from recycled materials
  • RJ-11 Modem/Fax/DSL protection
  • LED status indicators (replace battery and building wiring fault)
  • Low battery and overload alarms
  • 5' power cord
  • Safe system shutdown software
  • Up to $75,000 connected equipment warranty
Over the week-end, my server had arrived and I started work on installing the base system. I'll post up some specific details on my trial and error in getting my system the way I wanted it and my struggle with understanding encryption and what was required to make everything work.

Until then, you may review my previous post in this series below.

Cheers,
Rod

Building a Ubuntu Server - Part 2
Building a Ubuntu Server - Part 4

No comments:

Post a Comment